down-home spot serving chicken and waffles, housemade kool-aid + more
by the Offline team
What: Drive-through serving homestyle chicken & waffles, kool-aid + more
When: Tues-Fri 11a-6p; Sat 11a-8p; Sun 11a-4p
Why we love them:
- Locally famous food truck turned badass brick-and-mortar serving up Southern-style delicacies like chicken & waffles, wings, kool-aid, and more.
- There are eight unique waffle flavors (including a vegan option).
- They’ve got convenience on lock thanks to an unbeatable pickup option via their drive-through.
- They offer two incredible catering platters—Big C Waffle Party Platter and Wings & Tings—AKA comfort food for days (perf for 15-30 people).
Big C Waffles 101
Name a more iconic Southern duo than chicken and waffles. We’ll wait.
In the meantime, let’s talk about our new crush, Big C Waffles.
Big C gained local fame as a food truck, churning out crispy fried chicken and waffles with creative flair. Now they’ve also got a brick-and-mortar with both a uber convenient drive-through and outdoor picnic tables if you just can’t wait to get to your waffles. Call ahead and swing through for waffles on-the-go, or bring the kiddies out on a nice day and let ‘em play with the makeshift basketball court on-premise.
Big C is a laid-back, no-nonsense kind of place with generous portions that give you a ton of bang for your buck. It’s not fancy, but in-the-know locals will swear up and down that it doesn’t need to be. It’s homestyle comfort food that’s authentically Durham—a hidden gem of a spot with a cult following for a damn good reason.
What to order
Since we like to try everything (and def not because we’re chronically non-committal), we suggest opting for the Big C Dunks, which are perfectly portioned baskets of mix and matched bite-sized waffles in up to two flavors.
They’ve got eight waffle flavors altogether, so why limit yourself?! You can choose between Donut (made with an entire donut inside), Bacon Egg N Cheese, Pecan, Red Velvet, Sweet Potato, Blueberry, and Thin Mint. The only issue is selecting which two you want to try. They’re all crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside, and loaded with unique flavors that you won’t find anywhere else. They’re all so fire and flavorful, we honestly couldn’t pick a favorite.
Now that we’ve covered their seven classics, brace yourself for the unbelievably hard-to-find eighth option—a fluffy, stuffed, absolutely delicious vegan waffle (yes, vegan!). Appropriately named the Berry Vegan, this waffle is truly over-the-top, filled with strawberries and blueberries, then drizzled with a fresh berry compote before a final light topping of powdered sugar. Needless to say, you’ll probably forget it’s labeled vegan.
Uncle Wayne’s Chicken is another must-try. Picture homestyle wings, seasoned and fried to golden-brown perfection. Wash it all down with a cup of homemade Granny B Kool-Aid. It’s vibrantly colored, sugary AF, and surprisingly effective at making you feel like a kid again.
Big C might just be our new favorite catering option around. Because honestly, what’s better than waffles & chicken galore? Their Big C Waffle Party Platter is big-time bangin’, featuring seemingly bottomless Big C Dunks paired with Uncle Wayne’s chicken, syrup, and everything else you could possibly need to host a rave-worthy feast.
They’ve also got a Wings & Tings Platter that’s loaded to the brim with 75 wings. You can keep the wing selection simple or opt for all three flavors: BBQ, hot, and grilled. Throw in some jugs of Granny B’s Tropical or Grape Kool-Aid and you’ve got one helluva Durhamified happy meal.
- There’s no indoor seating here, so if you want to chow down immediately on site, prepare to dine al fresco.
- Better yet, Big C is now catering and with just 24-hour notice—you can show up to your shindig with massive platters stacked with all their waffles and wings. We promise you’ll be hailed the office hero.
- Ace breakfast-in-bed by calling ahead, swooping by to pick up your order, and getting right back under the covers. If you re-plate it right, you can also probably fool your S.O. into thinking you slaved away that AM.
- The waffles reheat well. Just throw ‘em in the toaster and you’re back to golden.